
Time: 7:00AM
Duration: ~2:02
Location: Race Course - basically from Gateway shopping center to downtown
Location: Race Course - basically from Gateway shopping center to downtown
Sport: Running
Workout: Easy Half-Marathon Race
Distance: ~15 Miles with warm up, race, and cool down
Weather: Cold
People: Matt H. and Foho (for the last 3 miles or so)
Since this is one of my favorite races, I thought I would do it again as an easy run. I found out that Matt was doing it too so asked if we could run together. I haven't seen him in along time and figured this would be a good way for us to catch up on each other's lives. He wanted 2:15 but we had agreed on 2:10 but I said I wanted to do a 2:05 or under. He kinda looked at me and said "yeah right". We seeded ourselves and before we knew it we were off.
We arrived at Mile 1 and our split was 9:45 and he said "that is way to fast. are you trying to kill me?" I then responded "Matt, you are still talking, you are fine so just suck and up and keep going." The miles go by pretty fast and before we knew it we were already at 3 or 4. We saw Foho come running from behind us and asked what her goal was and she said to PR and break 2. I then said she needed to hurry up and pick up the pace. So after a couple of minutes she disappears. Matt and I keep going and the miles seem to be clicking off pretty fast. Before we know it we are at Mile 10. Shortly after mile 11 we run into Foho again. I ask her what the heck is going on. She said she was out of steam so I just told her to latch on to us and we will pull her in. And that is what we did. Every 5 minutes or so I would keep yelling at her to make sure she was behind us. Then around mile 12 Matt picked up the pace and started running ahead of us so we just let him go. Foho and I were about .25 mile behind him the entire time. Foho started to fade and I kept telling her to keep going and she was almost finished. I then decided to drop back behind her and be her personal cheerleader at her the entire last 1.5 miles. I made sure she didn't slow the pace anymore and helped push her to the finish line. Before I knew it we were done.
I didn't get the time that I wanted but I was able to get Matt in 15 minutes faster than what he projected. And I was able to help Foho get a PR. I am very happy about that. Some races are all about having fun and helping other people. Today was one of those days. I had the best time. Thanks Matt and Foho for making my day!! I am very proud of both of you!!
Here are some pictures....



A big thank you goes out to all that came out... Amy and Matt Bush, Dee, Mr. Evans, Andrea, Foho, all of the Rogue Coaches, Josh, Maggie, Joey, Tim, and if I missed anyone sorry. I can't remember everyone. It is actually funny, people around me thought I was pretty popular because sooo many people cheered for me.

3 comments:
Nice! I shoulda sucked in my gut when we had that picture taken. :-) Got yer blog in my RSS reader now, so I'll be up on the latest posts!
you looked so strong and steady. good to see you out there enjoying yourself.
congrats on a great race!
Aw I love that story! What a good teammate and friend you are!
Post a Comment