CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Austin Marathon 2009 - February 15, 2009

Time: 7:00AM
Duration: ~4:45:00 minutes
Location: Austin

Sport: Running
Workout: Marathon
Distance: 26.2 Miles
Weather: Nice, but got really hot toward the end
People: Only 4,000 other people


Before the Race - My originally plan was to have Tim take to to the race but since he was up late the night before I just let him sleep and drove myself. I was worried that I was running late, but luckily I found a pretty good parking place and headed to the start line. I didn't see anyone I knew so I just gathered my stuff together and went to the bathroom a couple of times. Something was making my tummy feel upset. Didn't know if it was something I ate or more. I checked in my bag then lined myself up with the 4:30 pace group. I figured this would be a good start that for the 1st part of the hills.

During the race - I tried to pace myself for the 1st several miles but could never get into a rhythm so I just did what my body told me without pushing too much. I saw my dad at mile 3 and handed off my jacket. I was so happy to see him. I was finally able to get into a groove by mile 6. The miles started off clicking pretty fast. Before I knew it I was to mile 13. Then that is when my tummy took a turn for the worst. I tried to ignore it but by the time I hit 15 I couldn't. Matt was nice enough to join me a mile 15 and run a few miles with me. He lifted my spirits and kept my mind off my stomach. But things just got worse. I had to make a pit stop around mile 17. I was in the bathroom for about 10 minutes but after was feeling alittle better. Saw my dad again and waved a big wave and smiled. Matt then left me around mile 18.5. We said our good-byes and I was off again. I figured if I got to mile 20, then I was going to make it. The miles then started coming slower and slower. I was ready to be done. I did start to pick it up again after I hit mile 22. My energy was just zapped. I had nothing left in me. Saw dad 1 one time and he looked alittle concerned but I wasn't going to let this race beat me. I was more determined than ever to kick it's butt. I put on my game face and got going. Mile 25, I saw my husband. He ran with me for alittle bit and said keep going, you are almost there. And that is what I did. I was determined not to let anyone pass me past mile 23 and I didn't.

I wasn't happy with my time, but minus the potty breaks and helping a poor girl throwing up on the side of the road at mile 21 added up to about 15 plus minutes so I am okay with my time. I am happy I just survived and made it to the finish line with a smile on my face. Also by the end of the race my garmin said 26.52 miles.