Time: 5:30pm
Duration: ~1:06
Location: Downtown Austin
Sport: Running
Workout: 10k Race
Distance: 6.2 miles
Weather: HOT and HUMID!!
People: only 12,000 other people, but Molly and Travis
I got to the race at 11:00am to work. I was thinking that I would have time to go home and change, but I didn't. Thank God I brought all of my race stuff. There just wasn't enough volunteers so I decided to go ahead and stay and help. I texted Molly to let her know where to find me.
Travis and Molly found me about 1 hour before the race and we just sat on the curb and hung out and talked. It was great to see them again. It has just been too long. We decided on a meeting place in case any of us got lost and headed over to the start. I lead the way and wanted to pick a place between the 9 min and 10 min mile marker. While we were walking we ended up running into alot of people we knew including my cousin, Vanessa and her husband. We finally find our place at the startline. I let Molly lead the pace and just followed. I talked her up the hills and made our way around the crowds. Everything was going great untill the 2nd water stop. I stopped to tie my shoe and lost her. Darn it!! I was soo bummed. I called out her name a waited around for a few minutes, then looked at my watch and said to myself "She isn't that slow." So I pushed on. I ran as fast I could thinking maybe I missed her and stood at the top of the hill on 15th St. Nope, still no Molly. Then I got to around the 4 mile marker and looked again, but no Molly. It also didn't help that that we were all wearing red shirts. But I must admit it was soo cool to see all the red running around. Anyway, I decided that by that time she should be long gone so I just ran my own race and picked up the pace around 8:15/miles. Then headed over to our meeting place and found her!! We were both pretty worried about Travis. He is one of those guys that just decided to run a 10K. I knew he would finish, but thought that it might not be a pretty finish. Just like Tim woke up one day and decided to run a 10-miler. Did great at the race but was sooo sore the next few days. The boy couldn't even walk. Anyway, we waited and waited. Then Molly and I came up with a plan that Molly (wait me, since I am a the runner in the group) would run get the stroller from the car, somehow get Travis in it, and then Molly would then push him back. She also drilled me about knowing about where all the hospitals were in Austin. After about 15 min or so, Travis showed up!! We were both so excited to see him alive and still breathing. We had such a great time. After walking around for alittle bit Molly and I decided we were hungry. We ate some good burgers at Players and had great time catching up. It was so nice to hang out with them again. Molly and I have already decided that we are doing this again next year and looking forward to some races in the future together. Here are some pictures from the race...

Friday, September 5, 2008
August 31,2008 - Nike Human Race 10K
Posted by StephW at Friday, September 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment